My three day bender...
So I got back from Chicago on Friday afternoon, and we made plans to have dinner with friends that were arriving in town for Sunday's wedding. We headed out for drinks and pizza in Berkeley Heights and waited for the groom to arrive from the airport. Oh yeah, the Yankees were on too. Anybody who knows me knows that very rarely does a Yankee postseason game get played on a weekend night and I do not consume multiple beers. Tonight was no exception to that rule, plus we had to do something to pass the time until the groom arrived. When I came up for air, it was 1:30 am, I had too many empties in front of me, and the Yanks had lost. Not a good start for a marathon race!
So we had our first of two weekend weddings on Saturday afternoon...a friend from my previous job. It was a small ceremony in a church in Ramsey - very cozy. Although, it rained so hard all day on Saturday that we saw Noah building another ark. On the bright side, I saw many former co-workers and two old bosses at the reception. I knew ahead of time that they would be there, but wasn't sure how I would be received since I left there only a few months ago and my departure was somewhat sudden. Even though job changes have nothing to do with other people, some superiors do take personal offense to resignation so I was a bit hesitant. I am happy to report though, that everyone was quite friendly and we enjoyed our dinner and many cocktails together. Round 2 in the books, without incident.
Sunday was the big wedding of the weekend. As mentioned in a previous post, our friends of five years have been living in Georgia since May and were "coming home" to get married. I went to high school with the groom, and although we were never close then we have definitely become good friends since. He met his bride through another classmate and good friend, and thanks to my 3am match-making skills, they are now husband and wife! Over the past few years, we have all become pretty close with the groom's family as well. They are a great collection of characters, and have shown the utmost hospitality for the past two summers at their Maryland home. One of the best parts of this wedding was that I knew most of the family already when I got to the reception - it made what is usually an unfamiliar environment much more comfortable and hence more enjoyable.
One other thing that I realized about this wedding...it was a bit dustier than ones past for me. I served as best man for my good friend "Danny" two years ago and that was dusty, but this one was pretty dusty too, especially for just being a regular spectator. I don't want to be cheesy, but you could see that the bride and groom truly do love eachother, and you could see the love and pride that both sets of parents had for their children. Good times to be in such great company!
And then the bar opened! And Round 3 went to the sprinters, Creegs and Co. I tried my best to keep up, but my old, engaged ass has lost a step and so I leave it up to the sprinters to win the race. And win it they did. But I still sit here, in my office, with a dull headache, tired joints, and an growling belly...knowing I lived out what will be some great memories of good times with great friends!
Cheers!
So we had our first of two weekend weddings on Saturday afternoon...a friend from my previous job. It was a small ceremony in a church in Ramsey - very cozy. Although, it rained so hard all day on Saturday that we saw Noah building another ark. On the bright side, I saw many former co-workers and two old bosses at the reception. I knew ahead of time that they would be there, but wasn't sure how I would be received since I left there only a few months ago and my departure was somewhat sudden. Even though job changes have nothing to do with other people, some superiors do take personal offense to resignation so I was a bit hesitant. I am happy to report though, that everyone was quite friendly and we enjoyed our dinner and many cocktails together. Round 2 in the books, without incident.
Sunday was the big wedding of the weekend. As mentioned in a previous post, our friends of five years have been living in Georgia since May and were "coming home" to get married. I went to high school with the groom, and although we were never close then we have definitely become good friends since. He met his bride through another classmate and good friend, and thanks to my 3am match-making skills, they are now husband and wife! Over the past few years, we have all become pretty close with the groom's family as well. They are a great collection of characters, and have shown the utmost hospitality for the past two summers at their Maryland home. One of the best parts of this wedding was that I knew most of the family already when I got to the reception - it made what is usually an unfamiliar environment much more comfortable and hence more enjoyable.
One other thing that I realized about this wedding...it was a bit dustier than ones past for me. I served as best man for my good friend "Danny" two years ago and that was dusty, but this one was pretty dusty too, especially for just being a regular spectator. I don't want to be cheesy, but you could see that the bride and groom truly do love eachother, and you could see the love and pride that both sets of parents had for their children. Good times to be in such great company!
And then the bar opened! And Round 3 went to the sprinters, Creegs and Co. I tried my best to keep up, but my old, engaged ass has lost a step and so I leave it up to the sprinters to win the race. And win it they did. But I still sit here, in my office, with a dull headache, tired joints, and an growling belly...knowing I lived out what will be some great memories of good times with great friends!
Cheers!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home