Unreal
I went to Chicago last week with two goals - one, to see Pearl Jam (although I admit that was lofty) and two - to get a book signed by author extraordinaire Bill "The Sports Guy" Simmons. And I came back lame on both counts. Pearl Jam tickets never surfaced, and I got stiffed by Simmons!
As soon as I landed at ORD my buddy called and told me that PJ tix never came through. While I was disappointed, I wasn't surprised. They were playing a benefit concert for $1000 per ticket, so tickets were scarce and the show probably ended up being record execs and Chicago big wigs with their poser kids. I would have enjoyed seeing the boys, but probably would have detested the atmosphere. So maybe that was for the best.
But as soon as the PJ option went, I immediately got in a cab and headed for the ESPN Zone on Ohio to meet Bill. It was 6:15 and he was going to be signing until 8. Plenty of time...until I remembered I had to take Rte 90 into Chicago. Anybody familiar with Chi knows that 90 in to town during rush hour is usually a MESS! And it was tonight as well. It took us over an hour to get in, turning an easy task into a time crunch.
So I finally got to the Zone and to my surprise, there was a line out the door and down the street. It was 7:30, and I got on the line hoping that they wouldn't roll up the carpet right at 8. A few people came up after me and got in line, and then some woman came over and told the last guy that he was it and that if anyone else came up after him to tell them they cannot stay. So, OK. I made it? Even if I get in after 8, he will still stay to sign? Awesome.
About twenty minutes later, my buddies who live in Chicago showed up and headed right inside to grab beers (they are not Simmons fans...yet) About forty minutes after that, I finally got inside. I was so excited that I called Creegs to tell him where I was and that I would get a book signed for him. I initially wasn't going to call him for fear that it wouldn't happen and I would disappoint. But I figured I was this close so I could share the news. As I was hanging up the phone with him (literally, as the phone clicked shut) some little dweeb came over to tell us - the last twelve people in what was a line of hundreds - that there were no more books left for sale, Bill would only be signing for people who had already purchased books. My jaw hit the floor! I had just spent over an hour standing on line FOR NOTHING.
I was pissed, but didn't know who to be pissed at - myself for not buying a book ahead of time, the dumbass publisher for not bringing enough, or God for dicking around with me like this. Anyway, my buddy had brought me a 40 oz beer while I waited so I nursed that and stayed on line to at least shake Bill's hand and say hello, which I did. For those of you who care, he will not be moving back to the east coast for at least three years because he and the Sports Gal just bought a house and they love the weather. That's what I got for an hour plus of waiting. But I also offered encouragement to a man who had clearly been beaten by this book tour, by the two+ hours of signing he had just finished, and by the countless hours of signing he had been doing all week.
I still had a good time in Chicago. We had a great dinner and many beers at Ditka's and I was able to catch up with good friends. Although my original goals were not met, I still consider my trip a success since I had fun in my second favorite city. I always have fun in Chicago. Too bad it was 4o degrees in the middle of an early October day!
As soon as I landed at ORD my buddy called and told me that PJ tix never came through. While I was disappointed, I wasn't surprised. They were playing a benefit concert for $1000 per ticket, so tickets were scarce and the show probably ended up being record execs and Chicago big wigs with their poser kids. I would have enjoyed seeing the boys, but probably would have detested the atmosphere. So maybe that was for the best.
But as soon as the PJ option went, I immediately got in a cab and headed for the ESPN Zone on Ohio to meet Bill. It was 6:15 and he was going to be signing until 8. Plenty of time...until I remembered I had to take Rte 90 into Chicago. Anybody familiar with Chi knows that 90 in to town during rush hour is usually a MESS! And it was tonight as well. It took us over an hour to get in, turning an easy task into a time crunch.
So I finally got to the Zone and to my surprise, there was a line out the door and down the street. It was 7:30, and I got on the line hoping that they wouldn't roll up the carpet right at 8. A few people came up after me and got in line, and then some woman came over and told the last guy that he was it and that if anyone else came up after him to tell them they cannot stay. So, OK. I made it? Even if I get in after 8, he will still stay to sign? Awesome.
About twenty minutes later, my buddies who live in Chicago showed up and headed right inside to grab beers (they are not Simmons fans...yet) About forty minutes after that, I finally got inside. I was so excited that I called Creegs to tell him where I was and that I would get a book signed for him. I initially wasn't going to call him for fear that it wouldn't happen and I would disappoint. But I figured I was this close so I could share the news. As I was hanging up the phone with him (literally, as the phone clicked shut) some little dweeb came over to tell us - the last twelve people in what was a line of hundreds - that there were no more books left for sale, Bill would only be signing for people who had already purchased books. My jaw hit the floor! I had just spent over an hour standing on line FOR NOTHING.
I was pissed, but didn't know who to be pissed at - myself for not buying a book ahead of time, the dumbass publisher for not bringing enough, or God for dicking around with me like this. Anyway, my buddy had brought me a 40 oz beer while I waited so I nursed that and stayed on line to at least shake Bill's hand and say hello, which I did. For those of you who care, he will not be moving back to the east coast for at least three years because he and the Sports Gal just bought a house and they love the weather. That's what I got for an hour plus of waiting. But I also offered encouragement to a man who had clearly been beaten by this book tour, by the two+ hours of signing he had just finished, and by the countless hours of signing he had been doing all week.
I still had a good time in Chicago. We had a great dinner and many beers at Ditka's and I was able to catch up with good friends. Although my original goals were not met, I still consider my trip a success since I had fun in my second favorite city. I always have fun in Chicago. Too bad it was 4o degrees in the middle of an early October day!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home