Wednesday, August 02, 2006

So True

I remember a few years ago when somebody told me that a wedding is all about everyone except the bride and groom. I shrugged it off as a sarcastic quip at the time, but it turns out to be true. Planning the reception is all about pleasing everybody else! I am confident that you married folk will agree - and those not yet there, take warning.

To spare the guilty from pre-judgement, I will not name names. But the problem is present on both sides of the family and is driving me crazy. Some who call you after all of the invites went out, and ask to add two more random couples. Some who call two weeks before the wedding and ask where "so and so" is sitting, even though they know that "so and so" was not on the invite list that they approved two months ago! Some who make stupid demands about rehearsal dinner invites. Some who give their 2 cents on seating arrangements as if we care what they think. It never ends.

All I want is to marry my fiancee, make her my wife, have a nice wedding day, and enjoy a fun party with closest family and friends. Do you think I care who you sit with? You shouldn't be sitting anyway, you should be dancing and drinking - and when you are sitting, your mouth is full of food so conversation is pointless. Do you think I care if that old friend you haven't seen in 10 years has hurt feelings because they weren't invited? It's been ten years - why do they matter now? If I quiz you in one month, will you be able to accurately describe what the ceremony programs looked like? The answer to all of the above is NO.

So take a moment to remember what a wedding is about - the joining of two people, a celebration of their love, and the amazing commitment they are willing to make. It's not a party for your friends, or a long-lost family reunion opportunity, or a chance to impress co-workers. Remember...

Post script - As I wrote this, I realized that the only other time I think I wrote about the upcoming wedding was to gripe about vendors, etc. I just want to be clear that quite a large percentage of this experience has been enjoyable. But I expected it to be enjoyable - it is supposed to be enjoyable. So when it is, it is how it is supposed to be, and so it doesn't prompt me to analyze and reflect like these silly experiences do. These things are not supposed to be, so they get me going. Anyway, just wanted to be clear!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you're clear like Windex, and I think I see myself in your pants...oh wait, wrong joke. Sorry about that. I don't have an invite yet, and who am I sitting with? If you could get back to me with that, that'd be great. Did you invite Chiocco? Because there's a party at his house afterwards. How about Brady? If you could do that for me, that'd be great. Thanks!

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home