Friday, January 06, 2006

Yale Booster Club

Yesterday, President Bush told a group of education professionals and academics that it would help our country's reputation around the world if more Americans learned to speak Arabic. He illustated his idea with an example - if someone approached him and spoke "Texan", he would like them because he would know that they appreciate Texan culture. Therefore, if more of us spoke Arabic, then it would be a sign to the Arab world that we appreciate their culture.

I know - he has degrees from Harvard and Yale and would never say something so stupid...

"In order to convince people we care about them, we've got to understand their culture and show them we care about their culture. You know, when somebody comes to me and speaks Texan, I know they appreciate the Texas culture. When somebody takes time to figure out how to speak Arabic, it means they're interested in somebody else's culture." Associated Press

I can't make this stuff up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home