Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Weighing In

I thought that I'd post some comments on recent news stories. Because you are all on the edges of your seats, I know...

OJ Simpson wrote a book about how he would have murdered his ex-wife and her companion if he had actually done it. Yes, if he had actually done it. Is there anyone in America anymore that doubts that he did it? Unfortunately, the book and TV special have been cancelled, but if it hadn't, I am sure we would have all seen the guy for what he is. And I would love to go back to all those people who cheered and celebrated when he got off. They preferred a meaningless victory in some imagined race war to putting a crazed murderer in jail. Nice one!


Today I read that Fox News Corp, the publisher of the cancelled book and broadcaster of the hyped TV special, offered to pay the Brown and Goldman families "hush money" if they would supress criticism of the book and TV interview. Since everything comes back to politics, I want to point out that Fox News Corp, and its head, Rupert Murdoch, are huge Republican party suporters and contributors. In fact, Fox News Channel's "fair and balanced" reporting is notorious for its conservatively-biased news reports and interviews. Yet, here they are exploiting a double homicide and paying millions to the suspected murderer. Again, to all the conservatives out there, you've been had. And to all the rest who've been told that the Republican party is the party of morals - well, I think you get it now...

Comedian Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) went off on a racially-charged tirade at an L.A. comedy club last week, and then issued an apology on the Letterman show after the tape of the incident hit the internet and airwaves. If you actually watch the video, it is pretty ugly. It wasn't a joke or two, or one mention of the "n" word, but a five or six minute tirade with multiple racial slurs, stereotypes, and insults. It was bad. I saw an interview with two of the audience members that were involved, and while nobody deserves what Richards did, it doesn't even sound like these guys deserved so much as an acknowledgement from Richards during his act. Their group of friends were simply trying to be seated and order drinks, and I guess Richards took it to be a distraction and just let it all out. But don't consider these guys to be completely innocent...they've hired famed attorney Gloria Allred to represent them in court and are seeking money from Richards for "damages" - explain to me what dmanages were incurred that require money to exchange hands. Sounds to me like borderline extortion.

I read this morning that Democrats and Republicans are re-arranging office space on Capitol Hill. Any regular reader here is probably aware of my political leanings, but I have to call Dems out on this one. Yes, maybe some Republicans have bigger offices, but I don't think any Dems are hurting for lush carpets, big oak desks, or three admin assistants - do we need to spend the millions of dollars it will cost to move offices around for what may amount to a two year timeframe? The funniest part - Pelosi is insiting on a wing in the Capitol that is named after a famous Republican politician. Is this really a necessary move, or more of a kindergarten power grab?

I hope everybody has a great Thanksgiving holiday. Too often in this country, we are so consumed with the business of everyday American life that we lose sight of priorities. Let's take an entire weekend to remember what is important, appreciate it, and nurse some good ole fashioned hangovers! Cheers!


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH for hangovers!!!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

listen to me! I read creegs blog- and I feel a bit mislead. Not only did earp not tell me that you had an enormus farting problem- but you look so judgementally at us when it occurrs.

I just wanted you to know I know the truth. Game on!

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WRITE SOMETHING ORIGINAL! So boring!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home