Clear Up the Confusion
A few weeks back, I sent an email to some close friends and family, declaring that I was divesting myself of the New York Jets, and would thereafter be a Green Bay Packers fan. Apparently, I overestimated my friends' and family's senses of humor, because they all thought I was serious. Let me be clear about something - I am still a New York Jets fan.
First, how could I be a Packers fan? Having no allegiance to the town of Green Bay or the state of Wisconsin, how could I possibly relate to the average Packer fan? And I know little about the franchise, its recent history, or its tradition (although I do still want to see a game at Lambeau).
Second, how could I so easily shake off 20+ years of Jets fandom? I have been a Jets fan since before I can remember, my parents have had season tickets since before I can remember, and it is not that easy to just walk away from that (although the Jets repeatedly tempt me).
So to repeat - I am a New York Jets fan. I am not a Jets fan now because they are off to a good start - I know they will not win the Super Bowl this year. And I am not a Jets fan now because the Packers suck - I know they will most likely win a Super Bowl again before the Jets do. I guess part of being a real Jets fan is expecting embarassment, and finding comraderie with other Jet fans in that embarassment. And so, as a wise man once said, if you set your expectations low, you will never be disappointed. Plus, there aren't too many things more fun than going to a Jet game at the Meadowlands. And in the end, fun is what it's all about.
And Miami sucks!
First, how could I be a Packers fan? Having no allegiance to the town of Green Bay or the state of Wisconsin, how could I possibly relate to the average Packer fan? And I know little about the franchise, its recent history, or its tradition (although I do still want to see a game at Lambeau).
Second, how could I so easily shake off 20+ years of Jets fandom? I have been a Jets fan since before I can remember, my parents have had season tickets since before I can remember, and it is not that easy to just walk away from that (although the Jets repeatedly tempt me).
So to repeat - I am a New York Jets fan. I am not a Jets fan now because they are off to a good start - I know they will not win the Super Bowl this year. And I am not a Jets fan now because the Packers suck - I know they will most likely win a Super Bowl again before the Jets do. I guess part of being a real Jets fan is expecting embarassment, and finding comraderie with other Jet fans in that embarassment. And so, as a wise man once said, if you set your expectations low, you will never be disappointed. Plus, there aren't too many things more fun than going to a Jet game at the Meadowlands. And in the end, fun is what it's all about.
And Miami sucks!

3 Comments:
Miami does suck, thanks! But unlike you, I never claim another team as my own or even threaten. Like you, Mr. D, I've never seen my team win a Super Bowl even though both teams have, and I believe that is part of being a loyal fan. Be there when times suck(like this year for me) and when they're great(which hopefully is never for you.) As much as we hate them, how much satisfaction was on the faces of the Red Sux Third-World Country when they won the World Series? It's going to be twice as sweet for either of us if that should be our teams fate one day. I hope you never see it, as I'm sure the feelings are mutual, but we can all dream. Heck, you never know, the Cubs may win a world series one day too. It could happen.
GO NEW YORK GIANTS
write something new already. your blog sucks. do you ever update it?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home